Friday, June 11, 2010

How to prepare for your next job change now!



As I approach my 10 year anniversary with The Boeing Company, I have been reflecting back and looking at the various job and career changes I've made. Every job change I’ve made (I’m on job number ten) and each project I’ve worked on has been thanks to someone in my past speaking up to help me get the opportunity. If you ever wondered why some people get the ‘cool’ opportunities, it should be no surprise when I tell you it’s because they are fresh in someone’s minds when people are being identified for the project. The challenge is to not just be on their mind, but to be on the person’s positive side.

Yes, contact management takes lots of work. If you really think your career will blossom with you coming into work late and leaving early, then you should probably stay in bed so you can keep dreaming. I’ve been in my current job for almost two years. It’s the second longest time I’ve remained in anyone department. I started looking for my next job before I even accepted this position.

This blog post comes with some homework.

Assignment #1: Identify a list of at least 10 people that have helped you since you came to work at current job. Write each of them a personally addressed email and thank them for what they have done for you. Be specific. Tell them exactly what they did that you appreciate. If you have the time, pick up the phone and call them or visit their office instead. I recommend talking with them in person if they are at your work site. Extra points for driving to other sites. This list could include people outside your company including family, friends and advisors.

Assignment #2: Identify three potential positions or projects that you would like to transition to or work on after your current position/project. Then identify the people who will help staff or fill them that and create the opportunities for them to get to know you. If you can’t think of any, then look at all those people in assignment #1. See how many of them can help. However, don’t ruin a great thank you by asking for something in return.

You are not entitled to anything in this world, you need to earn it. If your parents gave you all you needed, then you are truly blessed. However, there is no guarantee that will continue. In order to obtain all that you want, remember people like people with positive attitudes and who are thankful for the help they get. Finally remember that the only competitive advantage you really have is your reputation. I ask you this, how hard did you work this week to make sure your reputation is one you would be proud of?

No comments: