Tuesday, March 31, 2009

10 Lessons I’ve Learned @ 30 (Part 1 of 2)

On my 29th birthday I gathered with friends and promised that last year in my 20s would be just as exciting as the previous nine, if not, then better. I believe it was the latter. What a year! As I turned 30 a few months ago, I’ve not been overwhelmed by the milestone, but I did reflect on the lessons I’ve learned through the years.

10. Worrying is like a rocking chair. It will give you something to do, but it gets you nowhere.

9. Mom was wrong – it’s ok to talk to strangers

I moved to California and knew a handful of people. Literally, I knew less than five. Today, I’ve been told I’m one of the most connected people around (at least at Boeing). I’m often asked how I do it. It does take a bit of motivation and work, but honestly I just seek out the most interesting thing people have to offer and remember that. I have a list of aspirational contacts and play the Kevin Bacon game to figure a way to meet them.

8. If you want to make friends, empathize

Remember this, the two things people love to hear: their own name and ‘yes’. Additionally, consider putting yourself in others shoes. Don’t give pity, but rather try to relate to people. I’ve moved around a bunch in my career and empathizing with those in a different position than me always gets their attention.

7. The only competitive advantage we have is our reputation

I remember the first year Boeing had a commitment to ethics day. This professor from ASU spoke and she said that our reputation would be the only competitive advantage we could guarantee. Boy was she ever right. I’ve made a point to invest time to damage control. Thankfully I’m not like Brittany or Paris, but I have worked hard at maintaining a positive image and being known as a person who works hard.

6. Attitude isn’t everything, it’s the only thing.

Years ago, one director used to tell me in our meetings that I needed to be more positive. I laugh now, because I can’t even remember being negative. I’ve learned that I have a choice about my attitude and I chose for it to be positive. It took me a while, but the story about Michael the kind of guy you love to hate helped me out.

My Nike's Believe in the Run Entry.

2 comments:

Danimal said...

I'd definitely rather hang out with you than Britney or Paris! :)

Unknown said...

That Michael story was really great! I was inspired.