Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I Want it All and I Want it Now!




Patience is the ability to count down before you blast off.” ~Author Unknown

As promised last week, I’m following up on your requested dialogue regarding career moves. I’ve been in the workforce full-time for almost a decade now. Of course it scares me a little, but when I sit and reflect I’ve learned some key tactics on changing jobs and careers. I’ve spent the entire time with one company, spanned three careers (Engineering, Management and HR), and ten different positions. If you dig into each position, my work scope changed even more times.

I’ve had highs and lows during the span. There were exciting moments that included two test flights in one day and others that included hiring 30+ in 24 hours just to name a few. Unfortunately, there were other moments involving frustration, disgust and disappointment. I could not have scripted the experiences I’ve had, though I am a believer that chance favors the prepared mind.

Over the next few posts, I’m going to share my approach to developing a plan and executing on it. While others have flown by the seat of their pants and have been successful, I like to be in control and my recommendations are based on what I can tolerate. As you follow along, you’re going to need patience with the process. I realize that many of us have had our patience tested for a while now and I find it healthy to discuss.

What’s frustrating you the most about the job change you’d like to make? How long has your patience been tested?

1 comment:

J Wong said...

Rob, you hit the nail on the head. What frustrates me the most about the job change I would like to make is that it does not seem attainable in the timeframe in which I want it to make it. Yes, I understand that “patience is a virtue” but I also belive that there are a few individuals (myself included) who have a thirst for knowledge and are motivated by challenges that stretch you personally and professionally in your career. When you start to feel that you are no longer growing or being challenged in your position, the first thing that comes to mind is to change the position. In these difficult times, it’s not the easiest thing to do. I also agree with you that the prepared are able to take advantage of opportunities that are presented to them and I do not like to leave things to chance. I look forward to reading about your approach.