Friday, January 29, 2010

The Good that Comes from the Bad



Eight years ago tonight, I got the worst imaginable call someone could receive. It was one of those calls that no one could ever prepare for. On January 29, 2002, my family’s world was forever changed when my father was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver. As my brother says, it still feels like a really bad dream.

I could go on endlessly about the tragedy of that event, but I’d rather focus on the positive again today. My family turned our heartbreak into something positive. At the time of my father’s accident, NY state law allowed for a maximum prison sentence of up to two years for drivers who injured or killed innocent victims (yes, he was caught). My brother Chris partnered with state political leaders and in less than three years, the NY driving laws were changed and dangerous drivers can now be sentenced up to seven years in prison verses the measly six months my father’s murderer served. It was not easy, but it was an effort worth pursuing even though it would be other families who would benefit more than us. The story even gained national news on “Good Morning America.”

It seems like events of such tragedy or shock get people to react in more responsive ways. This is our flaw – we’re always waiting for some sign. Oprah said it best when she said, “right now you are one choice away from a new beginning – one that leads you toward becoming the fullest human being you can be.”

Stop waiting for some bad event to jolt you towards a bold decision. The picture above is my license plate (Joe P was my Dad’s nickname) and a reminder every time I get in the car I don’t need a reason to be bold. Right now there is something you are holding back on and I want to help you act on it.

In the two question survey from my previous blog, you unanimously asked for help with making a career move. I encourage you to sign up for email notifications on this blog (see the box on the right hand side), because it’s going to get interesting. Beginning next week, I’m going to share with you my secrets for career change and advancement (including how to get a job if you don’t have one). On Valentine’s Day I’m going to launch a series of posts called “From Love to Luck: How Simple it is to Get the Most Out of Life.” The series will be four weeks (ending on St. Patrick’s Day) of simple steps that will help you organize your life and pursue some of the craziest goals that you feel you just never have time to achieve.

Just go, do it, live life!

No comments: