Friday, January 22, 2010

We Need More Pancakes!



It could have been growing up around the service industry with my father working as a pizza man and my mother working as a waitress, but I am fascinated by good customer service. At the same time, I get perplexed by poor service. Today, I’d rather talk about the positive.

Last September, my brother and I were making our way across Texas, traveling between Austin and Dallas to take in a college and pro football game. On this one Sunday morning we stopped in some small town to eat at a Denny’s, and as could be expected the place was packed. We snagged a seat at the counter instead of waiting for a table.

The beauty of sitting at the counter is that you are right in front of the kitchen and you get to see where all the action happens. I couldn’t help but notice how all the servers were irate that there were not enough pancakes coming out of the kitchen. It only took a few minutes before the manager came over. This was the same person who just moments ago was helping at the cash register and collecting a wait list as customers arrived. He asked what was wrong and you best believe his employees let him know. Without hesitation, he disappeared into the kitchen to pitch in. Two minutes later there were more pancakes flowing out of the kitchen than I could describe.

We all work in different capacities, but we all have a customer. Even those who are stay at home parents and take care of their children. When the pressure is on, are you likely to make pancakes or stay at the register?

No comments: